When fasting month comes – so does Mak’s epok-epok. The thought of piping hot epok-epoks and its accompanying zesty homemade chili sauce is just so remarkably scrumptious!
Mak’s epok-epok is really simple. I’ve seen and ate the more extravagant ones, but I still prefer Mak’s version. She sautees shredded carrot, taugeh, daun kucai and tahu with a bit of garlic for the filling. She kneads the karipap dough using ghee instead of the normal butter/margarine. Then in goes the filling into tiny karipaps.
But the real killer has got to be her chilli sauce. She taught me over and over again, yet I still could get the right amount...of anything. Basically the ingredients are fresh chilli, sugar, salt, limejuice and lots of crushed garlic. The taste really teases the tastebuds - a bit hot, slight soury, somewhat sweet and complemented with the taste of crushed garlics..
So you should break the freshly fired epok-epok into half and spoon some sauce into it and….yummy!
Another delight is her super smooth crème caramel. This is like the official dessert for every first day of ramadhan. I tried on Sunday…it turned out to be a bit bitter and very holey!
And her teh tarik, of course!
Tuesday, October 19, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
.
the fasting month, and you are talking about food? talk about cruel and unusual punishment...
if you are nearby, kena kuti tau? ha ha ha
.
forgive me for I'm weak.....lapar.............
Tried creme caramel in SA, even that one cannot compare to Mak's creme caramel....
with ramadan, still haven't gone to the local gerai2 to look see the kuih2...
but the mydin popiah in section 14, pj, near masjid TAA or masjid bulat...just look at the Q!!
i remember when it was 20 sen a piece, it's 70 sen now, i think...
Post a Comment